A preparation class will be held on one Saturday of each month at 10:00 AM in the Parish Office Meeting Room #6. Please contact the Parish Office to register for this class. The following are the guidelines for Baptisms in Our Lady of the Mountains Parish:
- Only the parent/legal guardian may make arrangements/registration for the Baptismal Program.
- Families must be registered parishioners of Our Lady of the Mountains. If a baptism is desired here in our parish by a family that lives outside our parish we must receive a letter from their home parish granting us permission to baptize one of their parishioners and that the parents have completed the preparation program of their home parish.
- The classes are for the parents of the child. If one of the parents is not Catholic they are encouraged to also take the class but it is not required. Godparents are invited to take the class with the child’s parents. We only require parents to take a class if they have not previously taken a class for an older child.
- Godparents must be fully initiated Catholics who are practicing the faith. If the Godparent is from another parish we will require a letter of good standing from their parish. A non-Catholic baptized Christian may serve as a Christian Witness if that is desired as long on there is a Catholic Godparent and the non-Catholic is an active member of their own church.
- We encourage baptisms to take place in a Saturday or Sunday Mass. Baptisms may also be scheduled on a Saturday or Sunday outside of mass if that is desired. Baptisms may be celebrated at any of our five Parish Churches.
- Parents may request a particular priest or deacon of our parish to preside at the baptism and we will do all we can to accommodate your desire.
Children who have reached the age of reason (typically around seven years old) are invited along with their parents to participate in preparation for First Reconciliation in the fall of each year. These children must have been participating in Faith Formation classes in the parish or Bishop Walsh School for a minimum of one year prior to acceptance into the program. The program includes an information session for parents, home instruction by parents with provided text material, and a mini-retreat morning for a parent and child. First Reconciliation is celebrated during the Advent Season in a communal ritual with individual confession. Parents are encouraged to also celebrate the Sacrament at that time.
Preparation for First Eucharist takes place following First Reconciliation. Those children who have celebrated First Reconciliation are invited to then begin preparation for First Eucharist. The structure of the program is similar to that of First Reconciliation with an information session for parents, home instruction by parents with provided text material, and a mini-retreat morning for a parent and child. First Eucharist is celebrated on the first Sunday of May.
Normally youth who are in the tenth grade are invited to begin preparation for the celebration of Confirmation which takes place in the spring of the year they have entered the tenth grade. The invitation is extended to those youth who are participating in the life of the parish, have been participating in Faith Formation classes in the parish or at Bishop Walsh School for a minimum of one year prior to acceptance into the program. The program consists of eight one hour and fifteen minute sessions, an overnight retreat, group service experiences, and an interview with a member of the parish staff.
Please call the parish office at least seven months in advance of your wedding date. Couples are required to attend a marriage preparation program prior to their wedding. There is more detailed information sheet available on the OLM Wedding Policy Information Sheet. Also, before you call please look at the Our Lady of the Mountains Marriage Preparation Page .